Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas in Taipei, Part 1

I left the States around 2pm on Saturday.

It wasn't some after crossing the international date line that I remembered that it was the anniversary of my mother's death.

The plane ride was long -- an almost 15 hour non-stop flight from San Francisco to Taipei. Fortunately, I sat next to a slim Asian woman (who, I took it from her course selection book, went to MIT. I remember those HASS classes ...) so I didn't have to worry about being squished into my window seat. Nonetheless, it was a little cramped and I only slept for a couple of hours and that was due to the 5 Dramamines I took!

I got in at almost 8pm local Taipei time. Immigration and customs were a breeze. My sister, niece and brother-in-law were there to greet me.

Even though I was pooped, I was determined to stay up until at least 11pm in order to adjust getting on local time (Taiwan is 14 hours ahead of PST). After we dropped off my stuff at their apartment, we went to a local restaurant they had been to recently. The food was yummy with lots of garlic, chili peppers and scallions, but there was lots of oil.

After we got back to the apartment, I crashed. I woke up a couple of times, but then got up at 7am and am here blogging!

It's raining hard here, but the temperature is still in the low 60s. I took some pictures off my sister's balcony:





I wonder if Ridley Scott had been to Taipei before making "Blade Runner." I could see how this city could have inspired him ...

No comments: