Saturday, September 29, 2007

First full day in Oahu

My first full day, I woke up early but didn't rise until 7am local time. I helped myself to some pineapple juice and a croissant that the hotel provided as part of their free continental breakfast before buying a bus pass and heading to Pearl Harbor.

By bus, it took over an hour to get there, but I didn't mind since I wasn't in a rush. I was on vacation! There were a lot of military there. The movie was informative and the boat ride out to the Arizona Memorial was nice. The one thing that marred the experience were two Japanese women who were insistent that everyone cleared a ten foot radius so that they could take their picture. Considering how many people were there trying to glimpse the underwater grave, they came off as rude.

After Pearl Harbor, I stopped at the Ala Moana Center with the intention of going to The Pineapple Room for lunch. Unfortunately, it was closed for a private function. Instead, I headed to Mariposa. Food was excellent there. The popover and fruited butter and the Burgundy wine the bartender were delicious. It would be my favorite culinary adventure in Hawaii.

After getting back to the hotel, I changed into a swimsuit and headed to the beach again for a few hours.

I think I went to Wolfgang Puck's Express for a dinner. I had bland chicken tenders and a blah mesclun salad.

No comments: