I've been spending a lot of time at my gym lately (for a variety of reasons I don't want to go into right now) and usually by the end of the week I've run out of reading material. So, from the random selection of magazines that my gym has on hand, yesterday I picked up one that was mysteriously called "02138." I had no idea what that meant -- all I knew was that the cover had a picture of the new president of Harvard University and I didn't want to read the latest issue of "Muscle and Burn" (or something to that effect).
Funnily enough I had picked up Harvard's alumni magazine. I assume some kind alum had left it for others to enjoy. The "02138" alluded to, of course, the university's zip code. (I wonder if they chose that name before or after "90210" aired.) Note to self: Next time I get my Wellesley, Brown and UCSD (yeah, I went to a lot of schools), I'll be sure to deposit them at the gym. One good turn deserves another.
The magazine laid out some facts about the new president and, of course, mentioned that this is the first female president of Harvard. Furthermore, the article made an allusion to Hillary Clinton (a Wellesley graduate, thank you very much). Hm, I thought. Well, of course, the comparison is there, but the article doesn't mention it explicitly so I will: (Gosh, Mr. Dick, my high school English teacher senior year and David Perlmutter, a linguistics professor at UCSD, would be so proud of me right now). If Harvard, the county's oldest university is ready for a female president, is it possible that the country is ready for a female president of the United States?
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment